Wow! We’ve begun our road trip and I already have a lot to catch up on! Forgive all the posts at once… Our first stop was Sandy Springs, GA right outside of Atlanta for some good home cooking by my grandma (a.k.a GaGa). She taught me the ways of cream corn and I’m excited to share!
Our dinner consisted of Breadcrumb skillet chicken, cream corn, mashed sweet potatoes, and butter beans (she warmed frozen and added a little butter- there’s the recipe for that!) It was delicious!
For the cream corn:
- 8 mature ears of corn (they are mature when the kernels are large and full- mature corn thickens better)
- 2 tbsp butter
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp flour (add more if needed)
- 1/4 c of milk
- and NO sugar, she says!!
For the sweet potatoes:
- 2lb (3 large) sweet potatoes
- 1-2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 c sugar
- I added a little cinnamon to mine…
For the skillet chicken
- 4-6 chicken breasts flattened to about 1/4-1/2 in thick
- 1/4 c grated parmesan cheese
- 1 c Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- a little salt and pepper if desired
Dip flattened chicken breasts into egg then dredge in mixture of parmesan and breadcrumbs. Add about 1 tbsp of veggie oil to a skillet and heat pan to medium heat. Add chicken breasts and cook for 4 minutes on each side.